Why is Fish Dog Food Good For Dogs?
Why is fish dog food good for dogs?
Like people, dogs may derive benefit from enjoying a fish-based food. In addition to being a healthy source of protein, some fish is also rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega-3 fatty acids such as those found in some fish based dog food are important to many aspects of your dog’s health:
- Since Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of fat, they serve as a source of calories for your dog.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help support healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- They aid in supporting the immune system.
- Growing puppies require a dietary source of the Omega-3 fatty acid DHA to help support proper development and function of the brain, the central nervous tissue and vision.
- For pregnant and lactating dogs, Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for proper development of the brain and vision of their puppies.
This is why Purina® offers a number of fish based dog food choices throughout its array of brands. For example, in the Beyond® Natural Dog Food line you’ll find Superfood Blend Salmon, Egg & Pumpkin Recipe and Grain Free Tuna & Egg Recipe Dry Dog Food, as well as Grain Free Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Ground Entrée. Each of these natural recipes features salmon or tuna as the first ingredient. Plus, each ingredient is carefully selected from trusted sources and thoughtfully combined, for complete and balanced nutrition.
Fish is becoming a more popular part of many dogs’ diets and limiting the environmental impact from our supply chain, where possible, is a Purina priority. One way we do this is by sourcing quality seafood products for our complete and balanced recipes that don’t compete with human foods. We proudly use parts of quality Alaskan salmon that are flavorful and nutritious; parts other than the filets that consumers in the U.S. prefer to eat. In that way, we are providing quality ingredients that meet pets’ nutritional needs, while allowing more of the omega-rich salmon to be consumed in foods like Beyond® Grain Free Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Ground Entrée. More of the salmon is used, less high-quality product is lost to food waste, and pets leave the dinner bowl happy.
While fish dog food is certainly a healthy choice for your dog, it can also be sourced in a way that makes it a healthy choice for the environment.
To learn more about how a fish based dog food can benefit your dog’s health, be sure to talk to your veterinarian.